Certificate in Database Development
NOW ENROLLING FOR AUTUMN 2017
The database is considered the ‘back end’ of computer systems and is extremely valuable to all businesses. The emphasis on the collection, storage and protection of data is hugely important.This data becomes the information that businesses rely on for their mission-critical systems and their analytical systems:
- Mission-critical are the day to day activities which must be carried out correctly, efficiently and safely by an enterprise to remain in business.
- Analytical systems are used by the enterprise for medium to long-term planning.
This course will cover many aspects of data management. It will focus on Relational Database Management Systems which are the most commonly used in a business environment and provide the student with a comprehensive knowledge of these.
The course will teach the student how to:
- design a database system using design methodologies
- implement that design using the Data Definition Language
- write SQL commands using the Data Manipulation Language
- maintain the integrity of the data within yourdatabase
- maintain the security of the data within your database
- improve the performance of the database
- create Stored Objects such as Procedures, Functions and Triggers
Although it is a highly practical course there is also a theoretical component. There will be topics covered which will give an in depth understanding of the concepts and theory of the Relational Model, Transaction Management, Concurrency Control and how the database manages Recovery in the event of database failure.
- Web Development and Databases - http://courses.dkit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/54204
- Database Programming - http://courses.dkit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/54208
- Database Development - http://courses.dkit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/54209
- Database Management Systems - http://courses.dkit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/54210
- Database Administration - http://courses.dkit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/54211
Dundalk Institute of Technology – QQI Level 7 (30 credits)
Who Should Apply?
If you are interested in a future career in or with computing, in particular in the fields databases, or wish to complement your qualification, this is the starting point for you. This course would provide the student with the skillset to work as a Database Designer, Database Programmer or a Database Administrator. Graduates will emerge with both theoretical knowledge and practical skills and have the added option to continue to grow their knowledge through either self-learning or attending further courses.
If successful with this certificate, be a competent and confident creator of database-driven, multitiered, secure, cloud-based websites, skills that industry is crying out for both in Ireland and across the world. You can also continue your studies here by upgrading to a full-time computing degree level programme at DkIT.
How To Apply
Enrol online via the Green button above.
The course takes place over one academic year (two semesters). As you would expect from a computing course, a lot of the material will be presented online. It is however very hands-on. You will do a lot of practical work. This requires intensive work at home at a computer, but also the attendance at practical sessions, which are there to help you to overcome hurdles. This requires attendance at college two days a week: one afternoon and evening (from 3pm to 9pm) and one evening (from 6pm to 9pm).
Monday 25th September at 6.00pm (subject to change)
You should have gained the DKIT Certificate in Programming or have passed equivalent modules from a level 7 or 8 programme in Computing.
PLEASE NOTE WE OFFER AN EARLY BIRD 10% DISCOUNT IF YOU ENROL BY 1st MAY (€1,980 payable instead of €2,200 - a saving of €220!)
Dr. Christian Horn
Department of Computing Science & Mathematics, DkIT
tel: 042 9370283